MultiPlan, the healthcare industry’s most comprehensive provider of cost management solutions, acts as an intermediary between its nearly 900,000 participating healthcare providers and its 1,400 clients providing claims re-pricing services at an estimated volume of over 40 million medical claims per year.
Business Needs and Objectives
MultiPlan selected QualiTest to help drive test process improvement and dramatically increase test automation coverage following a lengthy RFP process, which evaluated several large testing and IT service providers.
The goals of the client included the following:
- Establishing a QA partner who was reliable, trustworthy and an expert in the software testing industry
- Achieving an optimal level of automation for their 150+ internally developed applications
- Creating a test automation solution that would decrease prices while increasing test coverage with the best tools and resources for the job
The first few weeks of engagement between QualiTest and the client were involved with tool selection. The client had been using HP’s QTP solution, but were interested in learning more about Selenium, due to its open-source quality, even though they were wary of Selenium not being user-friendly. QualiTest performed extensive tool comparisons and ROI predictions with the client before deciding to proceed with Selenium.
The QualiTest Solution
Leveraging QualiTest’s right-shore testing model, test leadership resources are located on-site at MultiPlan’s Illinois and New York City offices. These leadership resources are supported by a test team of onshore test leads at the QualiTest Connecticut Center of Excellence and another test team at the QualiTest India site. The offshore test team is comprised of 17 automation engineers, coordinated by on-shore team leads, and 9 manual execution testers who work directly for the client. There is also a QualiTest US representative in India, who is responsible for delivery management.
QualiTest’s comprehensive consulting service aligned with the client’s Software Development Life Cycle to identify their key business processes and requirements, understand their business and infrastructure and assist in configuring a performance testing environment that accurately simulates a production environment.
Some of the key functions performed by the QualiTest engineers include:
- Identification and development of an in-depth understanding about the client’s applications and system architecture for the purpose of application test automation and improved regression coverage through Selenium
- Development of a scalable, maintainable and user-friendly Selenium automation framework leveraging the Keyword Driven Testing methodology. This framework was especially designed to allow testing professionals other than automation engineers to be involved in producing, executing, and analyzing the automation suite and test results.
- Reduction in the turnaround time of regression suite execution across dozens of applications; in many cases this reduced the execution time from weeks to days or hours.
- Creation of scripts and scenarios to produce consistent, measurable and repeatable regression tests. These tests and scenarios are designed to mirror the client’s live production environment, business patterns and throughput, including projections for future growth when applicable.
- Improvement of regression test coverage by providing specialized personnel for the development of additional test cases for new and existing test suites. These test suites were designed with an aim toward Selenium test automation.
The services that have been provided by QualiTest have been quite successful. With an initial partnership estimate of two years, QualiTest has expanded their testing services and have many more years ahead managing the client’s testing services. Some benefits that have resulted from QualiTest’s on-going managed testing services include:
- Saving hundreds of thousands of dollars by using an open-source tool
- Identifying gaps and risks early in the process, reducing bugs at later stages and avoiding project delays.
- Advanced tools, metrics and techniques allow stakeholders to track the statuses of projects