By: Yuval Erez
Our client is an Israeli military systems and technology provider. Their Unmanned Aerial Vehicle systems operate multiple missions that include tactical and military operations with a very high standard of control and precision.
Elbit UAV systems develop multiple projects with “System-of-Systems” engineering, which is tested as part of the development cycles, and with a complete acceptance test at the system level.
Our Client’s Goals:
- Continuously deliver SW and systems versions to multiple internal and external (end) clients
- Shorten test cycle lengths while keeping coverage and quality
- Lower test effectiveness erosion with high repetition by hand
- Raise coverage on complex and under-documented parts of the system
- Build and infrastructure that would allow reusable test materials that would justify such investments
Qualitest integrated a test automation tool as part of the testing services to streamline test cycles and allow for version deployment and higher rate of approvals.
Qualitest was also responsible for leading the following processes: designing the strategy, process and framework for automation, providing code reviews on deliverables and technical accountability, and advising on industry best practices.
Qualitest distributed weekly reports and bi-weekly progress reviews, thus enabling continuous visibility of automation scripts and delivery status. Weekly progress reviews highlighted main achievements, issues, needs or blockers, as well as key tasks planned for the next stage.
The infrastructure was designed and built to accommodate two major and very different C4I product lines, in which the technical similarities were analysed and used as process building blocks that would then integrate with the specific process or scenario on each of the products. This led Qualitest to deliver a reusable code infrastructure comprised of one main suite of ePF with tens of reusable scenarios, each applicable with minor changes on both major product lines with a coverage of 80% of the Sanity processes and an increased percentage of regression and ATP coverage.
Where suitable, data input into individual scripts was abstracted into flat .csv or .tsv files. This abstraction enabled the automated solution to be data-driven, so that different test runs can explore different combinations of test data without needing to alter test scripts themselves.
The scenarios can run (and in fact do) in SW development labs as well as integration and system labs and allow repeatable testability in a very short time as part of the testing cycle. The test effort has now shifted, from repetition of sanity and regression testing to testing of major changes and testing of complex and hard to retrace defect paths.
Key Benefits from Qualitest’s Services:
- The Client received expedited test automation implementation services at a fixed price
- The Client had constant access to an expert-level test resource
- Due to automated functionalities, the teams can now perform regression testing faster and lower the cost of changes before the main releases
- Re-usable code and a data-driven infrastructure that allow easy assembly and maintain test cases on all systems