The client is a multinational food and beverage corporation with interests in the manufacturing, marketing and distribution of grain-based snack foods, beverages, and other products. The company is the second largest food and beverage business in the world, with products distributed across more than 200 countries.
Business Needs and Objectives
The client needed assistance in testing an interactive, dynamic advertisement that was to be run in 40 countries during the FIFA World Cup 2014. Consisting of 12 interactive variations that could possibly deviate from the “plain” advertisement without interactions, the advertisement was also regionally optimized, differing with product offering, language, and regional particulars.
The client contacted QualiTest to ensure that the advertisement would work correctly across the globe, no matter where the viewer was located, with only a month to complete testing. After assessing the requirements of the client, QualiTest recommended a crowd-based approach for global resourcing, facilitated and managed by a QualiTest Senior Test Manager.
QualiTest created a test approach and plan based on our unique crowdtesting knowledge to guide the 80 testers from the crowdsourcing community who were identified to participate. These testers were chosen as they fit the demographic requirements of location (2 testers were required for each targeted country), mobile device availability and ability to support browser types, along with being filtered for their capabilities and experience as testers. These resources were ramped up and ready to begin testing within a matter of days.
A huge amount of testing was completed in a short period of time, as the QualiTest Senior Test Manager guided the testers through a blend of test case execution and functional exploratory testing. The types of testing included Functional, Localization and Compatibility Testing.
Some benefits that resulted from QualiTest’s crowdtesting services included:
- Speed and Responsiveness – The testing capability was ramped up from 0 to 80 testers in the space of a few days.
- Quality – Defects were of exceptional quality, including screenshots and video where necessary, to a point where 100% of issues were discovered
- Versatility – Approaching the testing as end users and triggering all the in-life processes and user journeys enabled QualiTest to minimize formal test case creation and allow testers to begin testing more quickly. Performing the testing in targeted countries with locally configured devices with local network conditions permitted the testers from the target audience to find bugs that could not be discovered in a testing lab.
- Cross browser coverage – The usage of crowdtesting was able to further increase confidence through coverage of a broad range of devices and browsers not available in the lab
- On-time – Testing was completed with a high-quality product within a month for the FIFA World Cup. Furthermore, taking advantage of the existing community enabled the project to make the most of the time available through testing over weekends and evenings – at no additional cost
- Fixed cost – The test capability and expertise was provided at a fixed cost, enabling the budget to be managed easily