The client is the world’s leading manufacturer of semiconductors and the developer of advanced integrated digital technology platforms for the computing and communications industries. The client is a US based company with R&D centers throughout the world generating over $100 billion in yearly revenues.
The client has several R&D centers each focusing on a different set of products. Some of the client’s testing is done in-house while some are done off-shore at testing centers in India.
Business Needs and Objectives
The testing project was chosen by the client due to problems with team integration, inflexible staffing (variable work loads), lack of formal knowledge and of course issues of cost reductions. Some alternatives had been evaluated by the client including on-shore and off-shore solutions. After a long evaluation process and some bad experiences with previous off-shore projects, the client selected QualiTest’s On-site Managed Service Solution (OMSS) upon seeing the advantages of being close to the development teams.
The QualiTest Solution
- QualiTest ran a study of internal processes followed by the client in order to determine operational procedures. This study helped both QualiTest and the client to identify useful workarounds resulting in tremendous amounts of savings in time and effort.
- QualiTest had to learn the complex systems developed by the client.
- QualiTest analyzed the manual testing processes to identify practices, which could be strengthened in automated testing and redundancies which could be eliminated.
- QualiTest implemented test automation for testing Infrastructure components which could not be supported by standard Automation tools due to unique platforms used, lack of GUI interface and rapid development processes.
- QualiTest maintained close communication with the R&D teams which greatly contributed to everyone’s commitment to achieving the testing goals.
- QualiTest improved the Test Process using common standards such as TMM and TPI resulting in better test results and quality reporting.
- QualiTest maintained quality throughout the testing processes at a lower total cost.
QualiTest operated a managed services team which included a project manager, team leaders and testing engineers.
Some of the testers communicated directly with the developers and all the testing teams reported directly to QualiTest project manager.
Test Process Improvement activities where done for all teams using TPI methodology. Based on the results, a 2 year work plan for improvement was created for each of the teams. Pre-defined milestones where created both on the project level and on the corporate level.
QualiTest increased client – to- vendor transparency by implementing an on-line system allowing the client to monitor the progress of the testing process and considerably increasing the client’s visibility into the performance of the testing team.
QualiTest defined the SLAs for both Efficiency and Quality and monitored them all the way through each and every process to insure the continued evolution of the QA and testing processes. QualiTest developed a unique Test Automation infrastructure based on the JUnit platform. This Test Automation is used by sending APIs directly to the infrastructure without having to use the cumbersome applications GUI.
Successfully transitioning the well-established teams was an achievement in itself, but what was so different in this case was that the team constantly overcame technical, process, people and cultural issues. QualiTest was acknowledged by the client management as a team of fast learners, focused people who like challenges, and are pragmatic. In the client’s words: “QualiTest teams ramped up rapidly along with an attitude to learn by questioning rather than following the process blindfolded”. To summarize, the main benefits to the client were:
- The client was given flexibility on the resources brought by QualiTest and was also able to re-position its managers to other strategically important areas.
- Increased work turnover for the client as they no longer needed to refuse any work due to a shortage of skilled people.
- Introduction of new teams, led to a re-energized focus on quality and processes giving rise to efficient operations and management.
- QualiTest brought its own best practices to enable fast ramp-up, transition and delivery excellence.
- QualiTest introduced test automation infrastructure which helped the client achieve their goal of having 40% of the tests done automatically. The core infrastructure provided by QualiTest saved the client over 50% of the test automation development cost and 70-80% of the maintenance cost.
- The client utilizes its new on-line reports which allowed for a better control of the test process and lead to better decisions.
As a result, the client decided to extend the scope of the managed services and to establish four additional managed services teams operated by QualiTest in two countries.
VMT is fully compliant with regulatory FDA and CE standards including 21 CFR part 11 and simplifies the submission process with automated report generation.
Project Business Card
Solution: Test Managed Services
Project Size: 120 QualiTest employees
Customer size: $100 billion fortune 100 Company
About QualiTest Group
QualiTest Group is a leading global provider of Quality Assurance and Software Testing Services. With over 1000 Software Testing professionals, 10 branches, and a strong presence in the USA, Europe, Israel, and Asia, QualiTest provides services to global Fortune 500 companies and large and small organizations. The company is committed to improving quality by providing superior solutions to customers and partners worldwide as well as advancing QA and testing methodologies. QualiTest offers a wide variety of QA and testing services such as: On-shore testing, QA and testing outsourcing, and flexible testing consulting and staffing. QualiTest expert services promote global practices such as: Test Process Improvement (TPI), KDT Test Automation, Load and Performance Testing, Website and Mobile Device Testing, Scrum Testing, Exploratory Testing, and Virtuology.