QualiTest’s Virtual Radiology Environment (VRE) is a comprehensive testing solution, aimed to test your Picture Archive Communication Systems (PACS) for scalability and reliability, delivering a comprehensive turnkey solution for synchronized Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) and Health Level 7 (HL7) Traffic.
The VRE Test accelerator supports:
- Functional Testing
- Interoperability Testing
- Load & Stress Testing
- Includes an expandable test data repository with over a terabyte of indexed, de-identified radiology studies.
Virtual Radiology Environment in Action:
Why is there a need for a Virtual Radiology Environment?
PACS have become increasingly complex while healthcare providers are increasingly dependent on their reliability and scalability. However, PACS vendors have exceeded expectations as to how much data these systems receive and how much customers rely on them. While features are fairly easy to verify, scalability is challenging to test.
The ideal situation would imply that everyone would have a fully functional Hospital in which to test their software and simulate the above behaviors, but that’s not realistic. Each vendor would have their own Radiology Environment in which to test the server with all the modalities and an RIS. VRE is a simulation system that provides all of the network patterns and data flow that occur natively in the Radiology domain.
When we tested our product compatibility to a radiology environment, we chose to work with QualiTest to leverage their deep understanding of testing and the VRE solution. VRE allowed us to simulate running our system in a large enterprise clinical environment with real data.
Product Manager, Brit Systems
Benefits of Using the VRE
- Confidentiality – Protect vendors from confidentiality issues by encrypting all identifying patient, site and provider information and storing all datasets in a confidential manner
- Enhanced Realism – Simulate running a system in a large enterprise clinical environment with real data
- Simplifies Testing – Staff with a novice skill in DICOM and general technology can run complex tests in a simple automated fashion
- Reproducible Issues – The VRE system allows for searching for datasets that match the issue and running simulations through the VRE System to emulate all possible causes
- Comprehensive Testing – Delivers a turnkey solution for synchronized DICOM and HL7 Traffic
- Automated Testing – Enables immediate Automated DICOM/HL7 Testing with no need for coding knowledge
- Expedient Integration – Enables quick integration of preexistent test data sets
- Increased Coverage – Dramatically increases functional, load, and interoperability test coverage
- Reduced Costs and Times – Estimated to reduce testing costs and duration by as much as 80%
- Storage Commit
- C-MOVE (iExport)
- SCP (Permanent SCP running on VHE server that accepts all DICOM associations and logs activity)
- ADT: Patient, merge, update and registration
- ORM: Order and update
- ORU: Report(s)
ADT -> ORM(s) -> MWL -> C-STORE -> ORU(s)
Ability to edit all messages separately or as one, ordering and add or remove steps.